FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: MOON STONES Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words moon and/or stone, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on June14th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Moon Stones will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, June 15th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Saturday, June 8, 2024

Tim Tipton

Stones 


(for my great-grandfather, M.B. Rising)


You stoop to pick up yellow pebbles

glistening wet.

Click them on your tooth to confirm 

with your ear what your eye already knew:

stone.

Amber does not click and it does not glitter.

It is filled with warm light.

Ancient fossil resin tumble up from the sea.

You do not find it, it finds you.

The warm light draws your eye.

Yet you keep searching.

The best piece you ever found 

was big as a knuckle.

Color of a dog’s eye, and deep within,

a million-year-old fly’s wing.

You were not even looking,

your mind was elsewhere.

When that light shone from a nest of shell

and seaweed, penetrating your cluttered 

thoughts through the corner of your eye.

Seeing it was like waking from a long absence, 

like discovering a poem.




Boredom


It’s a high crime night tonight

The moon is frozen still

Boredom was on, it had killed everything around me

While sleepers had beautiful dreams

Boredom weaved through me, It didn’t speak

It demanded nothing from me

Wherever I went it was there

I threatened it and all it did was grin

I took it for long walks in the moonlight

It dragged its ass, it stood absolutely still with its ears cocked

Its feet planted firm

Its eyes blinked

And every thought in my head disappeared.

There wasn't any doubt, only light.




A Poet, to Himself


Strange night.

No sirens.

Quiet streets.

No weather to speak of.

Good night to write.

But no, I can’t get up for adventure.

I feel a kind of dullness.

My head is in a puddle.

My neck turns.

My cartilage moves.

I don’t like the sound of my bones.

Strange, atomic night.

The dogs in the neighborhood are

going crazy, running in circles.

Loneliness, so alive, so big

that it is almost a creature on its own.

I have slept alone all week

reaching across the sheets

to find loss, not warmth.

I take myself into the night.

Walk the streets for rapture.

Early rising moon,

pour into me.

I can’t breathe without you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Michelle Smith

Moon Stones Mine are purple, gray, light blue  Oval  Ornate  Natural  Stone stylish  Twilighted and taken Original, opaque  New Elegant  👑 ...